Osborne Rosslyn Wrigley, Esq. was born to Osborne Wrigley, Esq. and Dora Wrigley née Pimley on the third of November, 1919. His name was intended to be “Rosslyn Osborne Wrigley” but his parents did not like the initials “ROW”. He was known as “Ross” for most of his life. Mr. Wrigley is the namesake of Rosslyn Road, Heald Green, Stockport, Manchester, England because his parents knew a property developer who could not think of names for the new roads he was constructing in his development.
He attended the The Manchester Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools, now known as Cheadle Hulme School, Cheadle, Manchester.
Mr. Wrigley served in the Royal Corps of Signals during World War II, eventually rising to the rank of Sergeant Major. While he was stationed in Northern Ireland, he met Miss Sarah “Sally” McKerr of Portadown, County Armagh at a dance. After the end of the war, Sergeant Major Wrigley promptly married Miss McKerr after demobilisation being only three days late for his wedding at Thomas Street Methodist Church in Portadown.
At the Provincial Incandescent Fittings Company (PIFCO), Manchester, he rose to the seniormost level in his department and was eventually responsible for all publicity, design and advertising. Mr. Wrigley won industry awards for his work and when he took early retirement, it spurred a rare public statement from the Managing Director. PIFCO also released a 30 second television advertisement wishing him a happy retirement. With his wife, he travelled around Europe during his long retirement to see some of the countries in which he had been stationed during the war.
For many years he volunteered for the Children’s Christian Crusade (CCC), a Christian charity which worked with English youth, and became its Chairman.
Mr. Wrigley died in 2009 and his obituary can be viewed here.